Part 08 - West Park to Derby Road
w/e 16 December 2018
All of this week's pictures were
taken with a Kodak DX6490
Information for this series has been sourced from
various places including the"Long Eaton Centenary Town Trail"
leaflet (CTT) and the"Long Eaton Townscape Heritage Initiative"
Picking up the route at the Bandstand in West Park where we ended
Part 07, we could have walked directly across the grass to the
wall at Long Eaton Cemetery but by following the path instead
we were able to get a view of Trent College.
The College sits in its own grounds and was founded as an independent
boarding school for boys in 1868 by Francis Wright of Nottingham.
Wright came from a banking family and the school was originally
modelled on Repton School in South Derbyshire.
From the view of the College, the path continues along Part 04 of the Tree Trail passing bowling
greens to eventually reach the cemetery wall which presents a
view of Harrington Mill that dominates the eastern boundary of
We entered the cemetery through a small gate in the wall. The
Mill was built in 1885 and is 168m long and we shall see more
of the Mill in a later part when we reach Leopold Street.
Continuing through the cemetery however the CTI leaflet invites
visitors to "saunter among the grandiose Victorian and Edwardian
gravestones" and you have to admit some of them are quite
The Chapel of Rest in the cemetery is a Grade II listed building
that was built in 1889 to a design by William Knight of Nottingham
and features a porte-cochère, a roofed shelter for funeral
An avenue of lime trees leads to the main gates to the cemetery
which too are Grade II listed. The gates and piers have recently
been restored together with the chapel with the benefit of some
Lime Grove itself from the cemetery gates to Derby Road has also
been the beneficiary of THI funding which enable resurfacing,
replacement of some trees and the reinstatement of some railings.
The funding also helped with the reinstatement of the wall and
the provision of a gate and other repairs to Keith Hall's (hairdressing)
Training Academy on the corner of Lime Grove and Derby Road.
The Bethel Chapel on the corner of King Street was built in 1903/04
in the Art Nouveau Gothic style as a Pentecostal church by E
Ridgeway and is now Grade II listed. The chapel has previously
been known as the Elim Pentecostal Church and the Bethel Methodist
Church but is now the Oasis Christian Centre.
(This picture was taken about a month after the others on
Returning along Derby Road to Lime Grove we find almost opposite
No. 58 which has a smart new shop front again provided along
with other repairs by a THI grant.