Ilkeston Town Walk - Stage 17 - St Mary's Church
w/e 21 December 2003


In this stage of the Town Walk, we take a closer look at St Mary's Church. As mentioned in the previous stage, the tower was moved westwards when the nave was extended in 1909/10. One cornerstone at the foot of the tower commemorates the rebuilding and although now well worn, the inscription can still be read: "To The Glory Of God. This stone was laid by the Most Noble Victor Christian William, Ninth Duke of Devonshire. November 20th 1909."

Sixty three years after the rebuilding the last pinnacle to be put into place had to be replaced but it has been retained within the church.
The Nave

At first glance when entering St Mary's via the main west door, the nave with the side aisles looks perfectly symmetrical with stone piers on either side.
Original Arches

Closer inspection though reveals that three of the piers between the nave and the south aisle are of much older construction than the others. These three and the arches they support are all that remain of the original building.
The Chancel

 This view of the chancel also shows St Peter's Chapel and several of the stained glass windows in St Mary's.
Rood Screen

And from the chancel we can look back down the length of the church through the early 14th century stone rood screen.

 Back to Stage 16
 Town Walk Index
 Forward to Stage 18

Site Navigation

"Pick A Picture"
Weekly Favourites
Latest Images
Holidays &
Days Out
Special Features
The Guest Page
Site search Web search

powered by FreeFind
Jigsaw Puzzles
Recommended Links

Terms & Conditions of Use
This website is copyright but licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 Licence.
Please credit the photographer Garth Newton, or add a link to these pages.