Long Eaton Town Walk

Part 02 - Church to Chapel
w/e 29 April 2018
All of this week's pictures were taken with a Kodak DX6490

Information for this series has been sourced from various places including the"Long Eaton Centenary Town Trail" leaflet (CTT) and the"Long Eaton Townscape Heritage Initiative" booklet (THI).

War Memorial

We ended Part 01 of this walk with a picture of the NatWest and opposite the bank is Long Eaton's War Memorial in front of St Laurence's Churchyard. The memorial was designed in the form of an Old English cross by Sir Ninian Comper and erected here in 1921. The CTT leaflet (published 1995) describing an anticlockwise route says to walk past the memorial "and the Refuge Building (1895)" to reach York Chambers which we again saw in Part 01. I could find no reference either on site nor on old maps to the Refuge Building so can only assume that it is the one on the left of this image.
St Laurence's Church

To the right of the War Memorial as we continue in a clockwise direction as per the THI booklet route are the gates to St Laurence's Churchyard. The church itself has its origins in the late Norman period of the twelfth century and is by far the oldest building still standing in Long Eaton.
Rear of Buildings

On entering the churchyard a glance to the left reveals the rear of the ?Refuge? building, no. 34 Market Place and the York Chambers. Not only did several of these properties receive THI funding for work on the frontage but also for the roof and outbuildings. The CTT leaflet states that once three almshouses stood in front of the church and that the last cottage in the Market Place was not demolished until 1963.
Church Detail

The church itself is a Grade II* listed building and the original Norman part forms the south aisle and Lady Chapel. The chancel arch is early eleventh century but the growth of Long Eaton in the nineteenth meant that the church was granted its own incumbent in 1864. It was enlarged to a design of G E Street with a nave, chancel and north aisle in 1866. The south porch is worthy of close inspection for it contains a Norman arch featuring sixteen different ravens’ heads in the stonework above the door to symbolize the defeat of the devil.
Northern Boundary

As well as the almshouses that stood in front of the church, to the left of it were several thatched cottages and farm buildings. The Church Hall is just visible behind the tree on the right but on the other side of the boundary wall on the northern side of the church, old maps including one from 1881 show that among the buildings was a brewery approximately where the large tree on the left now stands.
Old Bell

Returning to the Market Place we can look across from the churchyard past the War Memorial to the Al Naseeb Restaurant. The restaurant occupies what was once the Old Bell public house which is another building in the town with ancient foundations. It is thought the present building dates from about 1700 and was almost certainly the village pub. It is known that there was a village meeting room on the first floor and that school classes were held there before the town's first purpose built school was erected.

The CTT leaflet makes reference to Austin's chocolate shop alongside the Old Bell. This no longer exists but was probably the shop on the right of this picture as the next building along is HSBC bank. This was built in 1891 to a design of Albert Bromley's of Nottingham for the Nottingham Joint Stock Bank. Formerly the Midland Bank, this is Grade II listed.

A little further along on the same side of the Market Place is a more modern looking building which currently houses the Royal Bank of Scotland. This building was converted about 1923 for the William Deacons Bank from an existing building.
(Two days after adding this page to the site, RBS announced that they would be closing this branch on August 28th 2018 along with another 161 branches during the year resulting in 792 job losses.)

Returning to the east side of the Market Place there is yet another bank next to St Laurence's Church - the Halifax. Designed by the well-known Nottingham architect Watson Fothergill this was built in 1889 for Samuel Smith and Co, a Nottingham bank. All these banks in Long Eaton's Market Place including the NatWest which was originally built as the Nottingham and Nottinghamshire Bank are evidence of the town's growing wealth in the Victorian era due to the lace and to a lesser extent, railway industries.
Therm House

Next to the Halifax is Therm House - see the name in the stonework at the top of the facade - which was built as an Art Deco style building in the 1930s as a showroom for the Long Eaton Gas Company. Ironically now a pub it faces the Old Bell across the Market Place. I titled the second part "Church to Chapel" as we began looking beyond the war Memorial into St Laurence's Churchyard and it closes with the building next to the Halifax on the corner of Union Street. That is because that old map of 1881 I referred to earlier also shows that this was the site of a Methodist Chapel (Free United) with a burial ground and Sunday School behind. A chapel was still shown on maps published in the 1960s.

Back to Part 01
 Long Eaton Town Walk Introduction & Index
Forward to Part 03

Site Navigation

"Pick A Picture"
Weekly Favourites
Latest Images
Holidays &
Days Out
Special Features
The Guest Page
Site search Web search

powered by FreeFind
Jigsaw Puzzles
Recommended Links

Terms & Conditions of Use
This website is copyright but licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 Licence.
Please credit the photographer Garth Newton, or add a link to these pages.