Ilkeston Town Walk - Stage 06 - Park Road
w/e 16 February 2003
Park Avenue, the road from the cemetery, changes to Park Drive
at its intersection with Park Road, often referred to just as
"the crossroads". Our route will soon take us up Park
Road but first a short detour in the opposite direction.
This is the view down the hill from the crossroads, much changed
from when it formed part of an ancient pack horse trail to Nottingham
known as the Monk's Way* or Path.
*See another series on Ilkeston Cam
all about the Monk's Way.
This is far as we go on our detour - to where Park Road turns
left and the sub Post Office stands on the corner. The ancient
route to Nottingham was possibly one of the "green roads"
dating back thousands of years. Even today the road to the right
of the Post Office goes by the name of Green Lane.
But returning to the crossroads we can now turn our attention
to the Sudbury Almshouses on the corner of Park Road and Park
Plaques on the houses are memorials to Alderman Francis Sudbury
J.P. who in 1887 became the first Mayor of Ilkeston and went
on to hold that position six times in total.
Continuing up the hill past the almshouses, we now turn first
left into Lime Street (top) and then right to Graham Street (bottom).
This will lead us to one of the main thoroughfares through the
town, Nottingham Road, which is where we'll pick up our walk
in the next stage.