Long Eaton Town Walk

Part 04 - Brown's Road to Station Street
w/e 05 August 2018
All of this week's pictures were taken with a Kodak DX6490

Information for this series has been sourced from various places including the"Long Eaton Centenary Town Trail" leaflet (CTT) and the"Long Eaton Townscape Heritage Initiative" booklet (THI).

Formerly Woolworths

Part 03 of the Town Walk ended in Brown's Road with a look at High Street Mills but Part 04 returns to High Street where diagonally across from Brown's Road is the distinctive architecture of the 1930s shop that for many years was the retail outlet of the F W Woolworth company.

On the same side of the road and just a little further on is another distinctive building dating from 1935. The building looks in need of some care and attention particularly at the top but you may just be able to make out on the High Street facade and also above the shop windows at the corner of Howitt Street, the name of Montague Burton, the gents' outfitters.

Across High Street and between the 1930s buildings opposite is what is described in the THI booklet as "a particularly idiosyncratic Long Eaton institution" in the form of Rowells drapers. Rowells also merits a mention in the CTT leaflet which mentions an "original mosaic entrance way 'Derby Drapery Co.'" but the current gentleman shopkeeper told me that this had been removed at the request of the Council due to Health and Safety regulations. Sadly our heritage cannot be allowed to stand in the way of commerce.
Two Shops

The two shops adjacent to Rowells, Dry Cleaning at number 12 and Pete's Upper Crust Cafe at number 10 both benefited from the THI scheme with funding towards new shop fronts.
High Street

Another beneficiary of the scheme as we look back here along High Street is number 15, the building just left of centre that received a grant for roof repairs. This is where Cross Street to the right meets High Street but we continue along the Town Trail and High Street to the left.
Royal Hotel

Number 5 High Street on the corner of Clifford Street and West Gate (to the right at the traffic lights) was formally the Royal Hotel.

Again benefiting from a THI grant the hotel has been converted into a number of flats but the original entrance to the hotel still has the date 1888 above the door. This was when the town house built in 1930 that still forms the core of the building was transformed into the hotel.
Town House

Part of the 1830 town house can still be seen behind the fence and gate on Clifford Street. It was originally built for John Howitt when he left The Hall in that year.
United Carpets

Across from the former hotel is another quite impressive building on the corner of Station Street - but it merits mention in neither the THI nor the CTT literature. I remember this building when it housed the Co-Op but that could be a little confusing.
New Co-Op

On the other corner of Station Street is a building where the date stone in the gable shows that it was built in 1900. This is where the confusion arises as this building formed the premises of the "New" Long Eaton Co-operative Society. The original 1900 building - the clock tower was not added until 1927 - was designed by Long Eaton architect Ernest Ridgeway but that design like the Royal hotel has been modified to create a number of flats.
Back to Part 03
 Long Eaton Town Walk Introduction & Index
Forward to Part 05

Site Navigation

"Pick A Picture"
Weekly Favourites
Latest Images
Holidays &
Days Out
Special Features
The Guest Page
Site search Web search

powered by FreeFind
Jigsaw Puzzles
Recommended Links

Terms & Conditions of Use
This website is copyright but licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 Licence.
Please credit the photographer Garth Newton, or add a link to these pages.