Ilkeston Town Walk - Stage 13 - Market Street
w/e 14 September 2003
We have now moved to the intersection of Gladstone Street and
Market Street where a glance to the right reveals that approximately
one third of Market Street no longer exists. Residential dwellings,
shops, schools and a garage were all flattened prior to the construction
of the inner relief road. All the properties on the lower end
of Market Street, the whole of Extension Street (which was were
the blue vehicle in this image is now visible) and the remainder
of Gladstone Street all disappeared.
This panorama looking in the opposite direction shows Market
Street on the left and Chalons Way on the right. Hallcroft and
Gladstone Schools which later combined to become Cantelupe stood
on the extreme right of this picture (see An Ilkeston Education).
Properties on Derby Street too were also demolished to accommodate
the inner relief road but the Anchor Inn which fronts onto Market
Street was not affected. Despite the anchor hanging over the
door, there are no seafaring connections. The name was derived
from a proprietor called Anchor Carrier. The lintel over the
central window bears the date 1859 which was when the inn was
built. At that time it overlooked the old town cricket ground.
On the other side of the Anchor Inn is Hallcroft Road. This used
to be one of the main access routes for pupils to the former
Hallcroft Schools. Although it retains the name it now only leads
to the footbridge over Chalons Way. The footbridge is also visible
in the panorama above and it was from there that the background
image used on Ilkeston Cam was taken.
Opposite the Anchor Inn is a footpath through to South Street.
Called Weaver Row, it is a reminder of the 17th and 18th centuries
when weavers' cottages stood on this site.
At the top end of Market Street is an old factory building
that has recently been cleaned and renovated. Now used by a number
of different organisations, it was originally constructed about
1881 for C and F Sudbury as a hosiery and glove works. In more
recent times it was known as Rutland Garments but since its renovation
it has been renamed Rutland Mills.
Opposite the factory on the corner of Coronation Street is a
two storey building constructed about 1895 as a warehouse also
for the Sudburys. In the diamond shape between the two terraced
properties in Coronation Street, close inspection reveals the
words "Cricket Terrace" although some of the letters
have been worn away by the weather. This again is another reminder
of their proximity to the town's old cricket ground. An Erewash
Groundwork Trust leaflet reveals that two cricket matches were
played on the ground in the 1850s between a local team and an
All England XI and that a commemorative picture hangs in London
at the home of cricket, the Lords Cricket Ground.