Derby's Heritage Part 27 - Railway Village
w/e 25 March 2012
All this week's pictures were taken with a Kodak DX6490
Heritage Walk Header

By the end of Part 26, we had reached the Derby Midland Railway Station and in this part we will concentrate mainly on a triangle of three streets that were built as a "railway village" adjacent to the station.

Midland Hotel

From the station entrance we can look back for another view of the grand building that is the Midland Hotel which was opened in 1841 for first class passengers on the railway or as it was more genteelly put for the ‘Accommodation of the Gentry and Nobility’, a nobility that included Queen Victoria.
Midland Railway Institute

Midland Railway InstituteDirectly opposite the railway station is the first of the three streets. This is Midland Place (left) and on the corner with the second of the three streets Railway Terrace, is the former Midland Railway Institute (right and above). Designed by the railway company's architect Charles Trubshaw, the building with its distinctive tower and terracotta decoration was built in 1894.
Railway Terrace

Railway Terrace is the second of the three streets and it runs parallel to the railway lines which are over to the right in this view beyond the station car park. The cul-de-sac on the left is Leeds Place which was named after one of the more northerly destinations of the North Midland Railway. Sheffield Place, also named after a northerly destination was on the right where the car park is but this side of the road did not contain housing. Old maps show large "Cheese Warehouses" here, one of which (today called Wyvern House) can be seen in the distance beyond the trees.
Railway Cottages

The cottages on the three streets were laid out by the North Midland Railway Company in 1841/2 and provided housing for the railway workers. They were designed like the Midland Hotel but on a much more modest scale, by Francis Thompson. In 1843 Railway Terrace was called North Midland Terrace but by 1878 it was known as Railway Terrace and included Sheffield Place and Leeds Place which were still included as part of Railway Terrace in 1891. By 1880 tram lines had been laid had been laid along Railway Terrace and these were electrified in 1904 but the system ceased to operate in 1932.

Across from the cottages on Railway Terrace is an interesting feature in the station car park, the original clock from the entrance to the old station. Francis Thompson, designer of the Midland Hotel and the Railway Village was also responsible for the original station but in the 1980s it was decided by British Rail to replace it with a modern station.

ClockThis redevelopment of the station complex controversially necessitated the demolition of the old one but the clock from the entrance was saved and moved into the car park (left) where it was erected at the side of Wyvern House. The Midland Railway had been formed in 1844 by the amalgamation of three companies, the Midland Counties Railway, North Midland Railway and the Birmingham & Derby Junction Railway. The crest on the Coat of Arms of the enlarged company incorporated the Wyvern of Mercia and a wyvern (a legendary winged reptilian creature with a dragon's head) figures above the clock.
The Brunswick Inn

At the opposite end of Railway Terrace to the Midland Hotel is the Brunswick Inn which was built to accommodate the railway workers and second class passengers thus keeping them well away from the first class travellers. The Brunswick sits at the apex of the triangle where Calvert Street, the third street of the triangle, forms an acute angle with Railway Terrace. More recent brickwork on the opposite side of Calvert Street, a modern bus and the raised Pride Parkway encapsulate over one hundred and sixty years of history into one picture.
Calvert Street

Calvert StreetCalvert StreetThe three streets were originally named after the NMR company - North (Street), Midland (Place) and Railway (Terrace). As there was another North Street in Derby, it was renamed Calvert Street in 1871, apparently after Edward Calvert who had died in 1860 and who had been the chief cashier of Smith's Bank in London Road and was probably responsible for the railway company's finances.

Recent town houses built on the opposite side of Calvert Street, add a certain symmetry to the street (above right) despite the lack of chimney stacks but do not exude the same character as the original cottages.

Those original cottages were restored and preserved in 1981 as the blue plaque on the wall of one of them shows.
Midland Place

Of the ninety-two houses in the railway village development of 1841/2, fifty-five still remain. The original layout included four shops and the rounded frontage of the cottage between Calvert Street and Midland Place as we look back to our starting point for this part near the station, suggests that this was a "corner" shop in the true sense of the word.

Another new development, Wellington Crescent (left) is adjacent to Midland Place at the end of Calvert Street. Built in the style of a railway round house it fronts onto Wellington Street and that street dates from 1852. It was named after Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington KG, who died in that year.

Our route from here though is in the opposite direction along the pleasant Liversage Walk (right) as we begin to head back towards the city centre. A left turn halfway along Liversage Walk will return us to London Road via Trinity Street which is where we'll pick up the route in Part 28.
 Back to Part 26
 The Derby Heritage Walk Index
Continued in Part 28

Site Navigation

"Pick A Picture"
Weekly Favourites
Latest Images
Holidays &
Days Out
Special Features
The Guest Page
Site search Web search

powered by FreeFind
Jigsaw Puzzles
Recommended Links

Terms & Conditions of Use
This website is copyright but licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 Licence.
Please credit the photographer Garth Newton, or add a link to these pages.