Stanton By Dale - Revisited
w/e 16 April 2023

All of this week's pictures were taken with a Nikon D3300

The Village Trail around Stanton By Dale looks at most of the village in some detail and a later visit for a wander around the centre viewed some of the buildings again. That didn't prevent another visit to the village centre where we enjoyed a stroll (not really long enough to be called a "Walk") in the spring sunshine. Outwardly nothing much has changed since those earlier visits but here are a few shots of some of the buildings.

Stanhope St/Kiosk

That's certainly true of the cottages on Stanhope Street where, apart from the television aerials and replacement windows, their outward appearance is substantially the same as it was when they were built about 1790. At the far end of Stanhope Street the same can be said of the much later installation of the Telephone kiosk although, with the advent of the mobile phone, the telephone equipment it once housed has been replaced by a defibrillator.
Stanhope Arms

The Stanhope Arms on the opposite side of Stanhope Street is one of two traditional pubs in the village.


The cast iron pump e
rected to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897 now has flowers planted in the trough and is backed by an aubretia covered wall, both enhancements from when it was photographed for the Village Trail twenty years ago.
Middlemore Almshouses

Near the end of Stanhope Street, shortly before the end of the village, a narrow Lane leads to the Middlemore Almshouses that were b
uilt in phases between 1711 and 1904.
Church Lane

Between the Almshouses and the Stanhope Arms, Church Lane, as you would expect, leads to the church.
St Michael's Church

The church is dedicated to St Michael and All Angels with parts dating from the 1300s or earlier and with a fifteenth century tower. Like many other buildings in the village, its appearance has changed very little since then.
Chequers Inn

We left the churchyard via a footpath through the fields and made our way to Dale Road where we passed the other pub in the village, the Chequers Inn. Although little has changed in the village in recent years, this is one building that has been given a facelift. The yellow walls of 2003 have gone, the name on the wall is new as is the inn sign and a fence now surrounds the frontage.
Former Chapel

The facade of the former Wesleyan Chapel of 1860 on Dale Road has also benefited from a fresh coat of paint but the building still shows its religious roots in its design.
Village Green

We returned to Stanhope Street passing the triangular village green where the three main roads through the village meet.
Village Cross

And it's in Stanhope Street opposite the telephone kiosk we saw earlier that the Village Cross stands with a fleur-de-lys head from 1632 on a mediaeval octagonal shaft. Now nearly 400 years old and if we were able to come back in another 400 years, it would more than likely still be standing here.

Site Navigation

"Pick A Picture"
Weekly Favourites
Latest Images
Holidays &
Days Out
Special Features
The Guest Page
Site search Web search

powered by FreeFind
Jigsaw Puzzles
Recommended Links

Terms & Conditions of Use
This website is copyright but licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 Licence.
Please credit the photographer Garth Newton, or add a link to these pages.