Matlock - Post Lockdown 02
w/e 05 September 2021
All of this week's pictures were taken with a Kodak DX6490
Continuing our post lockdown stroll through Matlock
(click here for part 01),
we followed the path known as Broad Walk by the side of the miniature
railway in Hall Leys Park.
With the railway and the River Derwent on our left, we caught
a glimpse to the right over the bowling green in the park to
the Derbyshire County Council's offices on Matlock Bank.
Also on the right a little further on Matlock FC's ground on
Causeway Lane brought back memories of when I officiated as an
assistant referee in 1986 at the Derbyshire FA's Divisional Cup
Final only back then we were known as linesmen.
Back on the left and shortly after the end of the railway line
we reached the footbridge over the Derwent and, not for the first
time, marvelled at the markers denoting flood levels of the river
in the past.
We crossed over the bridge and walked up to Dale Road where just
around the bend on the left another railway line crosses over
the road. This is the regular gauge railway though, not another
miniature, that brings trains into the town from Derby.
After crossing the road the railway line enters Holt Lane Tunnel
which runs behind the properties on Dale Road to reach the station.
The tunnel also passes under Snitterton Road which crosses Dale
Road where it changes to become Derwent Way. This is the view
up Snitterton Road from Dale Road with Holt Lane joining from
In the other direction Snitterton Road crosses the Derwent into
the town centre over the 13th century Matlock Bridge. The bridge
was widened in 1903-4 and was made one-way to traffic in 2007.
It is now classed as a Grade II* listed structure and we would
return here to cross it but first we continued along Derwent
Way towards the railway station.
We turned off the road and climbed the footbridge over the line
passing the old Station Master's House on the way. The blue plaque
on the wall of the house attributes the house to celebrated architect
and engineer Sir Joseph Paxton (1803-1865).
In the Station Yard is the station building itself also by Paxton
and this dates back to 1849. The station is also a Grade II listed
As we watched from the bridge a train arrived from Derby and
disgorged its passengers onto the platform while others were
waiting to alight for the return journey. This is the end of
the line for main line operations but Peak Rail operates from
here running a heritage line with steam and diesel engines to
Rowsley. They also organise special events, galas, Halloween
and Santa Specials for all the family.
Returning to Derwent Way and Matlock Bridge we made our way back
to the town centre and Crown Square to conclude this visit to
Matlock - but hopefully there will soon be more trips "up