Derby - The Chapel
On The Bridge - Inside
w/e 03 November
Continuing our tour the Chapel of St Mary on the
Bridge with a look at some of the internal features.
The tall candlesticks and the altar were designed by Ronald Pope,
the altar being made of local Derbyshire stone in 1973.
Pope was also responsible for the frame (on the left of the altar)
that surrounds the fragment of a mediaeval figure of the crucified
Christ believed to be of Flemish origin. The figure was donated
by Miss Alwyn Morley. In the far corner of the Chapel is a wooden
statue of Our Lady of Walsingham. This was carved by Anton Wagner
in the style that is common in the village of Oberammergau in
Bavaria, famous for its passion play.
At the rear of the Chapel above the entrance is the gallery.
This whole structure was completely renewed during the 1930 restoration
but a gallery had been here since the reign of Charles II.
A memorial tablet on the wall near the gallery acknowledges Sir
Alfred Seale Haslam, whose family contributed generously to the
Access to the gallery is gained via a narrow staircase adjacent
to the entrance from where a good view of the beams can be gained.
Again most of the roof structure was renewed in 1930 but one
beam, seen on the upper right of this picture, is original and
mediaeval carvings can be seen on it.
The gallery also affords a good overall view of the Chapel as
well as the east window filled with modern stained glass. It
was designed by Mary Dobson and made of glass given by the family
and friends of a young man, Sean Ferguson, who died of cancer
at the age of 21. The Chapel is dedicated to the Virgin Mary
and each panel in the window contains allusions to her.
to Page 1