The Wollaton Trail - Part 02
w/e 28 January 2024
All of this week's pictures were taken with a Nikon D3300

Continuing our exploration of the old village based of the "Trail" as detailed on these sites:

In the following descriptions if I refer to the "Trail" it is information gleaned from these sites.


We left Wollaton Road in the middle of the village turning right into Bramcote Lane and then turning right again almost immediately into the L-shaped cul-de-sac of Dovecote Drive. Three parts of the way round the cul-de-sac is the access to the village dovecote which we learned from the Trail, was built about 1565 by Sir Francis Willoughby. This is now home to the Wollaton Historical & Conservation Society's Local History Museum which is open to the public during the summer from May to September on the second Sunday of each month.
Russell School

Returning to Bramcote Lane, the next building of interest is the Russell School (1885) which now operates as a nursery. The Trail also mentions an old school house for the headmaster but as the area has now been developed since the building of the school, I could only hazard a guess as to which house that was.
White House

Also mentioned in the Trail is a cottage originally part of Nook Farm - again difficult to determine unless you know the history of the village - plus the much more obvious White House which dates from the 1850s. (A return to Wollaton in the summer to visit the museum and learn more about about the old geography of the village is looking more and more likely! Perusal of old maps has so far not proved fruitful.)
Bramcote Lodge

After the White House we crossed Bramcote Lane and returned along the other side back towards Wollaton Road. We paused at Smythson Drive (NB incorrectly spelt Smithson on Google maps) to view what the Trail describes as a former farm building built in the 1870s but which is now known as Bramcote Lodge. The road is named after the architect of Wollaton Hall, Robert Smythson.
Admiral Rodney

Back in the village centre and facing down Bramcote Lane from Wollaton Road is the Admiral Rodney pub. Bramcote Lane according to the Trail was originally known as Noggy Lane and led to coal mines and a brickyard which have now been lost under the urban expansion. The Rodney is named after the Admiral who was related to the Middleton family by marriage. The Middleton family of course are more commonly associated with Wollaton Hall together with the Willoughbys and their history is worth following from the websites linked above. To the right of the pub in this view is a private drive which is thought to have led to the original Manor House.
Three Cottages

To the right of the drive is a row of three old cottages which, the Trail informs, have small attic windows on the third floor. It also says that the first cottage in the 1800s was a shop that was large enough to accommodate only three people at a time and that the third cottage was the Police Station.
St Leonard's Church

Next comes the fourteenth century St Leonard's Church, resting place of one of the richest men in England, Sir Henry Willoughby (1528) and the aforementioned Architect of Wollaton Hall, Robert Smythson. Inside the church are memorials to Sir Richard Willoughby (1491) and also to the Middletons.
Stone Cottage

Opposite the church is the oldest house in the village, the Stone Cottage, which dates from the 1400s. The Trail details its former uses saying it may have been a Chantry or residence of the Priest, or it may also have been, as referred to elsewhere, a school in 1472. With more certainty, it is known to have been the village Post Office in the 1850s.

Ivy Cottage

The Trail also mentions Ivy Cottage with its pointed gothic windows next to the Stone Cottage, and then Wollaton House next door. Wollaton House however is obscured from the road by a high wall and trees.
Wollaton Road

It is behind this wall on the right that Wollaton House stands as Wollaton Road (formerly called Church Hill at this point) continues towards the corner where it is joined by Hirst Crescent on the right. Hirst Crescent is now a small housing cul-de-sac but was previously the site of kennels. Beyond that Wollaton Road continues along the boundary wall of Wollaton Deer Park and Hall but it is here that we ended our exploration of the old village.

Back to Part 01

Home Page
Village Trail Index
Special Features Index

Terms & Conditions of Use
This website is copyright but licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 Licence.
Please credit the photographer Garth Newton, or add a link to these pages.