The Coffin Walk - Part 03
w/e 20 May 2012
All this week's pictures were taken
with a Kodak DX6490
The majority of this walk apart from the start and
finish at Breaston is through open countryside along designated
footpaths, bridleways and quiet country lanes. There is however
a short section that passes through a housing estate on the southern
edge of Draycott and that is where we begin Part 03.
on entering Draycott we reach Derwent Street on the corner of
which is the Methodist Church. This is in the form of two buildings
the one on the left bearing a stone plaque with the words "Primitive
Methodist Chapel Built A.D. 1865" whilst a stone on the
other shows the date 1897. Joined by the Wesleyan Methodists
in 1966 the buildings now form the Draycott Methodist Church.
A left turn into Derwent Street takes us along the whole length
of the cul-de-sac to the far end where a footpath leads off to
It is then a case of wending our way through the housing estate
for something under half a mile. The footpath from Derwent Street
leads into the housing estate.
The second turning along the path just
before Queen's Court leads through to Cleveland Avenue and then
onto Lime Grove (left). A jitty between the houses on the corner
of Lime Grove takes us to a stile and back into the open countryside
where a well worn path crosses straight through the crop to a
small wooded area. After all the wet weather I had expected this
field to be quite muddy and was surprised at how firm and dry
the path was. Even through the trees (right) the conditions underfoot
The exit from the wood is over a bridge taking care not to slip
into the brook below (which a lady did on a previous Autumn Footprints
walk) and over the stile.
With Bankfield Farm now on the right the path heads for a clump
of willows crossing two fields separated by a wooden fence. A
gate in the fence warns of horses in the second field but these
showed no interest in us at all.
To be honest we paid no attention to the horses as we were more
concerned about getting in the way of a tractor that was manoeuvring
and pushing a large log to the side of the field.
Climbing over another stile we continued across two more fields
keeping the hedgerow on the left hand side and soon arrived at
the end of Nooning Lane.
On reaching Nooning Lane the route is to the right but over to
the left we are again close to the River Derwent that we left
on the far side of Draycott. The meandering river covers two
or three times the distance we have walked but it's here that
we turned our backs on it again to head in the opposite direction.
As well as the signs and notices visible here, there are several
more for Angling Clubs that show that fishing is a popular pastime
along the banks of the Derwent.
Following our walk across the field paths the rest of the route
in this third part of the Coffin Walk is along the tarmac of
Nooning Lane continues to the main road passing
only the solitary Melbourne House and a barn on the right and
the access to a sewage works on the left. Shortly before the
main road (right) the lane is bridged over the same railway line
(left) we crossed near Breaston. From the main road the route
turns right and that is where Part 04 will begin to pass north
of Draycott on the way back to Breaston.