Bramcote - Country and Town
w/e 31 August 2003
A shortened version of Broxtowe Borough Council's
"Bramcote Village" walk
The footpath we were following eventually reaches a track where
a right turn leads us through two fields still golden at this
time of year as they await the harvest. For the duration of our
walk the sky was cloud covered, the air was humid and the temperature
very warm but later in the day the cloud cleared and we were
left with blue skies. We'll try and time our walk better next
After negotiating a stile in the corner of the second field,
our route crossed a bridge over the A52, one of the main arterial
routes into Nottingham. The contrast between this main road and
the lane we walked down after crossing the bridge could hardly
The lane eventually widens and returns to a residential area.
It is called Baulk Lane and a right turn at the end takes us
towards the Sherwin Arms roundabout and the older part of the
To return to our starting point we must now cross the busy A52.
A short walk up the incline on the far side and a right turn
at the building with the tower on the corner (inset) brings us
back to Church Street.
The Bramcote Memorial Hall stands about half way along.
And our walk ends outside the church of St Michael and All Angels.
The church was consecrated in 1861 after being built on a site
donated by John Sherwin Gregory when the original village church,
probably called St Luke's, on the site of the "Sunken Church"
proved to be too small.